Every once in a while I like to see how the airline and airport statistics stack up across the U.S. and around the world. The busiest airports are easy to name: Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas and Denver (although my initial guess was New York’s JFK). All of these I have visited, some a number of times.
Looking further down the list, I realized that there are only 5 airports among the top 25 busiest U.S. airport that I have not visited. None of the airport in this list really surprised me, but a few did in terms of their placement on the list, such as Las Vegas, which ranks #9 in the country in terms of passenger traffic.
Top 25 busiest U.S. airports
I used the Wikipedia list of total passengers, based on 2018 data reported by the airports themselves. Here are the top 25 busiest U.S. airports:
- Atlanta Harstfield-Jackson (ATL)
- Los Angeles International (LAX)
- Chicago O’Hare International (ORD)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
- Denver International (DEN)
- New York John F. Kennedy (JFK)
- San Francisco International (SFO)
- Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA)
- Las Vegas McCarran (LAS)
- Orlando International (MCO)
- Charlotte Douglas International (CLT)
- Newark Liberty International (EWR)
- Miami International (MIA)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX)
- Houston Intercontinental (IAH)
- Boston Logan International (BOS)
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood (FLL)
- Detroit Metropolitan (DTW)
- Philadelphia International (PHL)
- New York LaGuardia (LGA)
- Baltimore-Washington (BWI)
- Salt Lake City International (SLC)
- San Diego International (SAN)
- Washington Dulles (IAD)
Any guesses as to the 5 I haven’t transited? Being based on the west coast, you can imagine that the large hubs of San Francisco and Los Angeles were checked off the list ages ago. Providing airline info would help in theory, but I have such split “loyalty” that it actually doesn’t. I’ve flown all the major airlines a number of times, although Delta and United have received the bulk of my air miles. Southwest used to be my favorite airline (not really the case anymore) and I’ve flown my share of Alaska as well.
Not to mention without some recent travels, I wouldn’t have the list whittled down to the remaining five. When my daughter and I visited Buenos Aires and Montevideo, we made a quick stop in Florida on the way home, hitting both Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports. Last year I also checked off Salt Lake City, Charlotte, Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis-Saint Paul and Chicago O’Hare.
So which remain unvisited among the top 25 busiest U.S. airports? Here they are:
- Boston Logan
- Detroit Metropolitan
- Philadelphia International
- New York LaGuardia
- Baltimore Washington
No plans to pass through any of these either. Someday I’ll hit all 25.