Every quarter IHG runs a new PointBreaks list. PointBreaks are a limited supply of award nights that offered at 5,000 points per night at a select group of hotels for the given quarter. Once the unknown number of PointBreaks nights are booked at any given hotel, it is pulled from the list. It is also my understanding that cancelled award nights do not go back into the pool, but I may be wrong on that point.
Needless to say, I was very excited for the Spring 2016 list to come out. Typically an Intercontinental hotel will be on the list, several Crowne Plazas, and a Hotel Indigo or two. The bulk are Holiday Inn Expresses and Holiday Inns with a few of the other brands mixed in. The entire list is here. Booking opened up yesterday.
Usually there are a few gems on the list, and they tend to get snapped up very quickly (typically the Intercontinental on the list and any hotels in/near major vacation destinations). This quarter, however, I found the list to be completely unimpressive. There are no Intercontinental hotels on the list, and there are very few other hotels that even caught my eye as good options. If there is a U.S.-based hotel located in a place you are already going, sure, take advantage of it. Actually, do that anywhere. Overall, though, the offerings are meager, and I would not go out of my way to specifically book a vacation around one.
I’ll offer a brief list of slight stand-outs. Candidly, I have not been to any of the hotels on the list, and I am mainly basing this on the appeal of the destination or hotel to me personally.
- Holiday Inn Express Bucaramanga, Colombia – This very new hotel only recently opened at the end of 2013. Most of Latin America is on my “would love to travel to” list, and Colombia is no exception. I would love to visit Bucaramanga, Bogota, or Cali.
- Crowne Plaza Toyama, Japan – Maybe because I have been very interested in using our 4 Hyatt free night certificates at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, Japan has been on my radar lately. Toyama is located on the northwestern side of Honshu and has an amazing mountainous backdrop. It looks like an appealing place to visit, but maybe I am just a sucker for mountains.
- Holiday Inn Resort, Batam – Batam is located across the Singapore Strait from Singapore. Cash rates are only ~$65 in March, so maybe still not the best use of points if you need a stay for a promotion.
- Crowne Plaza Greater Noida, New Delhi, India – Looks like a very nice hotel. India is a wee bit far to go.
- Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, Vietnam – Hotel looks great, and it’s outside the city center. Value is quite good as well (cash rates are ~$120/night). Probably the most interesting option in Asia on the list.
Here’s hoping to a better list next time. I don’t think I am going to pull the trigger on any PointBreaks offerings this quarter.